Saturday, December 8, 2007

Allergies and Anxiety

I don't know if any of the people that read this blog have children with allergies, and I understand there is a fair amount of anxiety in raising young children in general...in fact, one person told me that the first 10 years of your child's life you worry about their physical health and the second 10 years of your child's life you worry about their emotional/spiritual health....I can understand that statement!
Anxiety over allergies is exasperated during the holidays...before I get to that let me start at the beginning. When K was a few days old we noticed he was struggling with the formula he was on so we switched to soy formula. After a few days of that his whole face broke out and he started pooping lime green. We thought "hey, maybe he is allergic to this" and we switched his formula again...and his face cleared up and his poop was of normal color! After that he started having eczema....and of course our pediatrician told us that along with eczema often comes allergies and asthma...well, we are 3 for 3. God's hand of protection has been all over K though. When he was about 1 I was making PB Balls and I touched his hands...he broke out in hives immediately...again I thought "hmmm, he may be allergic to peanuts!". Then, right before his 15 month check up I gave him a little bit of an egg...he got realy sick and threw up..."hmmm, allergic". So I didn't have him get his MMR shot at 15 months because it is made with egg.
We are, however, trusting the Lord that K will outgrow these things, as that can happen and does happen.
In the last few months we have had him tested and sure enough he is allergic to eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, beef, sunflower oil, sesame seeds, dogs and several spring trees! Needless to say we have totally changed our diet as everything that you buy processed runs the risk of having an allergen in it! This has been good for M and I...we needed a dietary make-over! Although, it is difficult cause I always have to pack his food, think about what he is eating and pray there are no adverse effects.
I get anxious around the holidays because there are allergens everywhere (mostly peanuts and nuts)...not in our home...we don't allow most of the things he is allergic to in our house. We figure it is the ONE totally safe place. I know he will eventually get to an age of understanding his body and will not just grab food without asking if it is ok to eat...but, until then I often live in a state of paranoia!
I also think about down the road to Kindergarten...I always thought I'd send him to our local Christian school, but what a nervous wreck I will be worrying about the food other kids bring to school...and the birthday parties...he can't eat most cake because there are eggs in it! Will I have to make him his own cupcake to bring on the days birthdays are being celebrated...will I have to make him eat by himself so that he doesn't touch or smell a peanut? Should I home school him because of his allergies? I know, I know I am getting paranoid...but these are the things I think about. A lot of people don't get the seriousness of allergies....and I understand, cause I never did! But I have been to the ER once with a serious allergic reaction and it is scary!
I have to say though...in all of my anxious thoughts I KNOW that the Lord is using this in my life cause I need to TRUST HIM so much more. He is K's ULTIMATE protector and a part of me has to let go...I also know that I need to put things into perspective...so many children have it so much worse...the Lord is teaching me to be thankful that there are ways to combat allergies and asthma. God is so faithful to bring things in our lives that shape and mold us into who he wants us to be! Thank you Lord!
A verse I cling to these days is a very familiar one....but I am gonna write it anyways!
Philippians 4:6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
PS...You may be wondering what brought this all on...K broke out in hives tonight. He is fine, it just brought up my silly fears and anxiety!

4 comments:

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I can't imagine how tough it would be to have a child with allergies. In Eve's pre-school class there was a child with a nut allergy so we weren't allowed to send snacks with any form of nuts in them. It was no big deal to do that - I was happy to oblige, really. The nursery at church is a nut-free zone as well. Truly, it is a very easy rule to respect, especially when I put myself in that mother's shoes.

I love how you are seeing this situation though - as a way for God to grow you. We all have those things in our lives that are the challenges God uses to make us more like Him.

-Andrea

bethany said...

I have a friend with a very severe peanut allergy - I might show her this post and see if she has any thoughts for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Tracy, aka Bee's friend with the severe peanut allergy. :-)

Aside from the peanut allergy, I also have asthma...and like K, I was allergic to tons of things. Dust, cats, dogs, trees...my own stuffed animals! And while I didn't grow out of my peanut allergy or the asthma, I did grow out of most of the other ones, and my asthma is not nearly as severe as it was when I was a child. So I definitely want to encourage you that there's always the possibility of outgrowing some or all of the allergies, or at least seeing dramatic improvements.

Also, I think there are definitely things you can do to make school a safe place, too. My mom would talk to my current teacher before the school year started, who was more than happy to make sure I had a safe "food environment" and who would give me the snacks my mom packed for me when all the other kids were eating things I couldn't, especially at class or holiday parties. She made the nurse's office aware of my allergy, and also spoke to the lunch staff so that they could watch out for me and make sure I didn't pick up that brownie with the nuts inside in the lunch line! I think most people are happy to help in any way they can...so I encourage you not to hesitate to ask for their support.

What was probably most effective though was my mom talking about it with me. She described the things I shouldn't eat, told me why I shouldn't trade lunches with other kids, and how if I wasn't feeling good after I ate something, to go to the nurse's office and let them know. Also in my younger years, she gave me a medical bracelet to wear to school, which helped make teachers and staff more aware of my allergy. And last but not least, she taught me how to read the ingredients of everything, whether I'd had it before or not...words like emulsifier and hydrogenated just became a part of my vocabulary. ;-)

Dealing with allergies with little kids is a very hard thing! But I think the way you are looking to the Lord and giving your worries over to Him is wonderful, and that He will bless you in many ways for being faithful to trust in Him.

Unknown said...

I am new to the life of allergies...unlike your child I was the opposite, never allergic to anything until I turned 27 (I will be 29 in a few months). I have recently developed a nut allergy, that I discovered on Christmas of course eating a chocolate cashew thing...Merry Christmas! I stay away from all nuts and also am allergic to bannanas and avacados...major bummer. I love to cook and eat and feel as though my allergies have seriouly cramped my style. I have also become very anxious about them, not wanting to go to people's houses for dinner, out to eat or try new things in fear that I am allergic. I feel it has paralyzed me is some way from living my normal life. I have been working through the anxiety, trying to trust the Lord...until today I realized I may also have developed a latex allergy, due to the Valentine's Day balloons (which commonly goes along with bannanas and avacados). This put me over the edge in an anxiety attack! Frustrated with God that I have to deal with this, why of all things is this the thorn in my side?! So I googled anxiety and allergies and was happy to find your page...all your encouraging words were helpful. I also wanted to tell you I am a teacher and am VERY aware of allergens in schools and I can honestly say that all the teachers I work with are hyper-sensitive to the issue too, reading every label and checking every piece of food that comes into the classroom. Maybe this is why God has chosen this for me...to help the children who suffer from this as well. Would love any words from that may help me deal with the anxiety of this new experience! Do you ever get passed it? Or just learn to live differently? How do you stop yourself from being afraid all of the time? Needing some peace...