Saturday, January 26, 2008

Speech

Some of you may know that K has been evaluated twice for speech...at first, I was extremely concerned about him and his speech. I just knew he was behind. Anyways, both times, he didn't qualify for services....he tested behind, but not behind enough. Plus, he wasn't behind in any other area. He was tested by a Special Educator as well as a Speech Pathologist. They said that he either had to show major delays in speech or be behind in other areas, such as gross or fine motor skills, social skills and I can't remember what else they tested him in...and of course he didn't test behind, he did everything they asked! It was nerve racking, having other people critique his every move! Although, they were so great and after a few minutes put me right at ease. Anyways, saying all that, I can't believe how much K has learned in the last few weeks. He still struggles getting speech out, but he has such an understanding of language. Plus, he is trying so much more to talk which is awesome.
This week alone he all of a sudden says and recognizes several colors..."geen", "blue", "purple", "led"(red), "lellow", "ornge". (He already knew a few of those before this week, I guess). He has also shown great interest in letters...I think due to watching "Word World" on PBS. He recognizes and says "A, B, C, E, J, T, U, O". Because it has taken him so long to talk, I have often wondered how much he knew or understood...well, now I am learning and I am so excited. He has also started saying a few two word sentences...which is a big improvement for him. He says "shut door", "more please", "hi mommy" and many more combinations...my favorite thing that he says is "more olives please"! I know he is still a little behind, but I am so encouraged that he is making progress every day! God is good.
We have had a lot to figure out with K...in fact I went to his two year old well check and my pediatrician (who I love, by the way) said, "Congratulations, you made it through the infant and baby stages!". She knows what a challenge it has been at times..with allergies, asthma and eczema...oh and the lack of sleep for 1 and a half years! She also said that we were great parents and hopes we will be able to adopt again...as she loves to see children in good homes. That was nice to hear too! Sometimes, I think we all wonder how well we are actually doing as parents! She also said that he was the perfect size which is great because his diet is so limited. He basically lives off of fruit! And, she said in her opinion he will catch up in speech in no time. She thinks he is quite advanced in his gross and fine motor skills and that those things have developed first, before speech. So, again, God is so good. I am so thankful for his help along the way! Oh, and she was extremely happy we didn't do all those hearing tests ( I don't know if you rember when we thought he had hearing loss?). She says if he does have hearing loss that it is most likely minimal and he can test without being sedated in another year. So we are trusting we won't even have to do it!.
Anyways, just a little update on K!

3 comments:

G. said...

sounds like things are going well. I'm happy to hear of K's progress. There couldn't be two better parents for him. You guys are great!

Anonymous said...

K is just perfect - of course I'm a little prejudice. Could tell the huge progess he made when he was at my house last week. God knew to put K with the right parents.
Love G

MICHELLE said...

That's awesome! I've noticed such great strides in his language lately as well. I can't imagine how much it pleases you to hear his little voice! Enjoy! And yes, you guys are amazing parents! You've been through soooo much with K and you've stuck it out with patience and perseverance. Good job! God truly is good!